bluefluff's blue fluff

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

If I don't know

That's the title of Wendy Cope's 2001 poetry collection, from which I quoted her Being Boring a few weeks ago.

It's also the name of her forthcoming "tour" of assorted provincial venues, where she gives wonderfully understated readings of her work, chats to the audience & answers questions. I first heard Being Boring (still unpublished then) at one of these events 6 or 7 years ago in Louth... hang on... it was 27th November 1998. Still have the ticket tucked inside the book she signed!

Anyway, "If I don't know" is coming to the Trinity Arts Centre at Gainsborough next March, & I've just booked tickets :-)

I'll finish with one of her typically light pieces:

Timekeeping

Late home for supper,
He mustn't seem drunk.
'The pob cluck', he begins,
And knows he is sunk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home