bluefluff's blue fluff

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Ants!!

Was in the kitchen tonight, idly drying my hands & staring vacantly at the grotty area under the radiator where the towel hangs. (Everyone has grotty areas under the radiator, right?) Anyway, it struck me that the bits of kicked-off mud/blown-in detritus were accumulating to the point where I really ought to take the dustbuster to them... then it further struck me that the bits of kicked-off mud/blown-in detritus were blowing around quite vigorously, considering there wasn't a door open anywhere to cause a draught... then the stare suddenly got a lot less vacant as I realised they had legs & what's more, there were rather a lot of them, & they were heading out of the grotty area under the radiator as fast as their little legs would carry them.

Uttered a few expletives under my breath (not too loud, as daughter #3 was watching Alien in the dark in the next room) & hoped we still had that can of Nippon kills-all-known-creepy-crawlies-except-spiders-dead spray somewhere. Being a family of congenital hoarders, we did. It had no doubt deteriorated over the years (hopefully not into a too carcinogenic state) but I used it copiously enough to drown the b*ggers anyway.

(Apologies to any ant-lovers out there.)

Then went round the kitchen stamping on the escapees. Daughter #3 thought I was experimenting with some new sort of exercise regime & came to investigate. After I explained, she watched the rest of Alien with the light on....

I may not win any prizes for Housewife of the Year, but I do have my standards, & ants don't pass, OK?

5 Comments:

  • At 01 August, 2005 16:05, Blogger pal said…

    Ants in the garden OK - as long as you don't sit on them.

    Ants in the house definately a no no. I'm with you on that one. Boiling water works!

     
  • At 02 August, 2005 00:37, Blogger Lobster Blogster said…

    Apology accepted.

     
  • At 02 August, 2005 01:07, Blogger bluefluff said…

    Pal - Boiling water works! Not sure it would've been very good for the vinyl floor, though... :-)
    I'm with you on the indoor/outdoor thing, though. It's the same policy I apply to spiders.

    Lobster - I hadn't realised your sympathies would lie in that direction. Are there aquatic ants?

     
  • At 03 August, 2005 16:22, Blogger pal said…

    Lol! I thought he was being a bit paranoid about boiling water - which would turn him a very fetching tasty pink colour instead of the more mundane midnight blue/black he must be atm :-))))!

     
  • At 04 August, 2005 17:37, Blogger kat said…

    I wouldn't like ants freely running around my kitchen either but it is possible to prevent them from coming in, in the first place. You can buy a spray. You spray the stuff ( in a small band ) across the door steps, around window frames and in any cracks and crevices. It doesn't wash off, leaves no marks and lasts for ages - all summer. I have been using the stuff for years and it works. It doesn't kill the ants - they just turn right around and go back. They won't cross the line. It isn't poisonous to people or pets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home