bluefluff's blue fluff

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mind the VAT...

I ordered a set of DVDs from amazon.com, because they weren't available from the UK site. The price was fine, but I had to hand over £8.16 in charges to receive the package. Close scrutiny of the small print revealed that items valued over £18 imported from the USA to the EU attract customs & excise charges. Closer scrutiny revealed that what I'd paid was £4.16 in VAT (fair enough, I suppose) plus a whopping £4 charge from Royal Mail for the privilege of handling my unwitting transaction with customs & excise!

Caveat emptor, as they say.

2 Comments:

  • At 30 November, 2005 15:56, Blogger Bill said…

    Have you tried CDWOW? They're the cheapest available in the UK as they always ship CDs individually to stay under the VAT threshold, and they also use free postage and packing.

    I notice several online stores are exploiting the £18.00 VAT threshold - Amazon Jersey, Tesco Jersey, etc.

     
  • At 30 November, 2005 21:01, Blogger bluefluff said…

    It wasn't available there or at Play.com which is another of my regulars :-(
    (It was a DVD boxed set, hence the higher value.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home