bluefluff's blue fluff

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Not really Wednesday

Despite what it says at the top of my posting, in my head it simply isn't Wednesday. Until I've made a token effort at sleeping, it's still Tuesday. So which is right? The objective, 'scientific' recording of the passage of time, or somebody's subjective, experience-based perception of time? In one sense, time is a human construct, something that lets us chop experience up into neatly-labelled chunks in an attempt to make sense of it & give ourselves an illusion of control, so my version of it is as valid as anyone else's. But in another sense there's Time with a capital T, out there & requiring some kind of consensus - the kind of Time about which a colleague of mine once remarked, probably not originally, that it's "nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen at once". That sort doesn't really allow for individual interpretation, does it? If the rest of the world agrees that it's Wednesday, then it would be arrogant of me to disagree, & I don't really do arrogant.
I do brandied pseudo-intellectual ramblings, though :-)

5 Comments:

  • At 31 August, 2005 18:42, Blogger kat said…

    I would really appreciate it if you could turn the clock back to Tuesday just so that I can start Wednesday all over again but with a bit of a warning of what to expect. Er... I think that makes sense.

    I was so serene when I left home this afternoon. I still am but I suspect it won't last. Tomorrow is the 1st of September - Please wish me a peaceful and stress free new year. Sorry if that sounds cryptic - I'll blog about it later.

     
  • At 01 September, 2005 02:14, Blogger bluefluff said…

    OK Kat, you could replay Wednesday in your head - what would you do differently?

    If you'd known in advance that peace & serenity would be shattered, wouldn't that only have taken it away that bit sooner? It would still have happened, right?

    As somebody who suffers more through anticipation of stressful situations than through the situations themselves, I'm disinclined to grant your request for a re-run. Besides, it's Thursday now (LOL!)

     
  • At 01 September, 2005 10:30, Blogger kat said…

    :-) I couldn't do anything differently and if I am honest I knew it was all going to happen anyway. Back to the whirl and the pressures.

     
  • At 01 September, 2005 15:26, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You been trying to figure out Doctor Who again?

     
  • At 02 September, 2005 01:27, Blogger bluefluff said…

    GW: Funny you should say that. My maiden name was Lord.......

     

Post a Comment

<< Home