bluefluff's blue fluff

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Like mother, like daughter

So I'm sitting up late after a pleasantly mixed day (in the morning I was a sleeper, in the afternoon I was a tutor & at night I was a student) & across the way is daughter #3 busily creating CD inserts now that we finally have CD burning software & a computer that can run it.

Mum: "Are you staying up all night?" Daughter: "Yes, probably." It's just seen as the normal thing to do in this household! Well, apart from Alan who works the other way round... I quite often meet him just getting up as I'm on my way to bed! Daughter has seen her sisters follow the pattern too, with all-nighters when GCSE coursework or an A level presentation was due.

Big brother never worked through the night, but used to stay up watching videos or obscure sports on TV. In fact it was his failure to sleep, as a baby, that encouraged my night-owl tendencies - Alan & I would do shifts, swapping over at 4 or 5 am. Quite handy, really, having both a night person & a morning person around to cover everything.

Yes, OK, I'm rambling - but hey, isn't that what blogs are for?

3 Comments:

  • At 09 October, 2005 11:47, Blogger kat said…

    The only way I can normally get on with any serious work is when the rest of the world goes to sleep. I did a little bit of stuff for work last night until about 3am but I still have loads of other stuff to do, so no doubt I will be up until round 4 am. tomorrow. I used to wait until FC went off about 1 am - that was the signal to start work but I am getting better and try to start at about 11pm so that I can be in bed by 4. :-))

     
  • At 10 October, 2005 02:56, Blogger bluefluff said…

    That's very disciplined :-)
    But I expect you have to get up at a civilised hour for work? At least I can usually take the sleep I need.
    My daughter finally called it a night at 5am & then slept till 2... tonight she "only" stayed up till midnight, but during the period between tea & bed, produced a 2,250 word piece of history coursework! I was called in to proofread & marvelled at her patience - it was on N. Ireland, which tends to make me glaze over.

     
  • At 10 October, 2005 23:05, Blogger kat said…

    Disciplined! No. I think it is disgraceful cutting FC off the way they do. :-)))

    I work different hours depending on the day of the week. Today I worked from 12:30 to 3:30 and then again from 19:00 to 21:00. Actually I worked most of the hours in between as well, but they don't pay me for them. I got out of bed around 11 am.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home